Thursday, January 3, 2008
(2nd round of questions on Twenty Something Bloggers' fortnightly debate.)

It's time for new years resolutions. What is one thing about yourself that you are definitely NOT changing?

I've had some hard times last year, in relation to family, my career (& finances), my friends, and my love life - basically all aspects of my life! (Again, quarterlife crisis, anyone??) I think the one thing about myself that I am keeping is my optimism.

I've always been quite an optimistic, happy person, and yeah ok, I wasn't so optimistic during the last quarter of the year, but seeing how everything's turned around so quickly has really brought it back to stay! Being jobless for so long, then suddenly being offered a job and then getting another interview (still haven't heard back yet, btw); being single for a year and a half, and then towards then end when I was realizing that although for the most part I didn't mind it, I was ready for a relationship again, Colin came into my life and turned it upside down and brought it right back up again, higher than I was before; even finding out who my real friends are - I have to say, everything really is ok in the end, even though this is really more the end of a beginning.

This year, I refuse to get suckered down into another "my life sucks, I'm so depressed" mode, because, as I said above, everything really does turn out fine, if not better.

If anything, I have to be an optimist now that I'm in a long distance relationship. It's going to be tough, and being depressed about it will only make it tougher. So, dear God, I will cling on to my optimism as hard as I can, because He only knows I'll really need it this year, if only to keep my relationship alive.

Other 20SB's opinions:

Chasing Paradise
Maxie
Very Bad Cat

Labels: , ,

posted by Jess | the Jess Journals at 5:38 PM |



5 Comments:

At January 4, 2008 at 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said:
Optimism is a great asset to have, if you're lucky enough to be able to hold onto it consistently. This is something I battle. And amen to the quarter life crisis -- I'm facing my 25th birthday next month and part of me is totally freaking out!
 



At January 4, 2008 at 10:30 PM, Blogger Quarterlifegirl said:
I think life seems so hard in our mid twenties because lets face it...it is the first time we are truley on our own and experience "big girl stuff" (hehe that is what I call it) but overall if you remember it can always be worse it makes it hard to not be optimistic. I worked in a cancer unit one summer years ago and believe me from that moment on I never thought my life was so bad (as corney as it sounds). Best quote to remember "Once I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man that had no feet." Great blog!

P.S. some of my girlfriends perfer LDR because you have the best of both worlds emotional support and a little more you time and freedom (not dating freedom, but girlie emaressing time freedom). Remember to always look at the glass of wine as half full!
 



At January 4, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Blogger Elise said:
Long distance is hard but you can turn it into something fun... Sexy letters with an enclosed thong can seriously spice things up maybe...?

xx
 



At January 5, 2008 at 4:34 AM, Blogger Kat Mortensen said:
As always, I enjoy your posts immensely.
Check out Poetikat's for a new contest for Valentine's Day. Spread the word!
Kat
 



At January 5, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Blogger Jess | the Jess Journals said:
Chasing Paradies: I agree, the tricky part is holding on to it as consistently as possible, but dammit, I'm going to try! Happy early birthday :)

Quarterlifegirl: You're right, it really could be worse, but at the same time, these are the problems we've been dealt with, and although of course I'm grateful not to have cancer or some life-threatening disease, it doesn't mean this is easy! As for LDRs, I'm actually ok with it. I just know it'll be hard every once in a while when I really miss him...but I def know he's there emotionally for me, and that means the world to me. :)

Elise: yes I've already thought of a lil package I'm going to send him via Amazon! And he's sent me a 7 page letter he wrote on the plane...can't wait! I love handwritten letters :)

Poetikat: thanks! :)